Gazing at the pictured strawberry shortcake on the back of the Bisquick box (sent in a care package to Tokyo from my grandmother, Nona, in Colorado) I marveled as a kid at the American concoction.
American-Style Strawberry Shortcake (Photo credit)
The biscuit heaped with mounds of cream and topped with strawberries was certainly different looking from the delicate strawberry shortcake slices sold in Japanese pâtisseries.
Japanese-Style Strawberry Shortcake
(Pictured is a slice from the Japanese Beard Papa pastry shop
which has opened several franchise stores in Los Angeles.)
On a regular basis, I enjoyed strawberry shortcake at a pastry shop after a Kiddy Land toy store excursion in Harajuku or a movie in Shibuya (where a statue dedicated to a loyal dog named Hachiko is located.) Diving into a slice of soft vanilla sponge cake filled and topped with whipped cream and strawberries is and was like tasting food from Heaven!
However, I created a chocolate cake twist on the Japanese classic for the FamilyFoodie's #SundaySupper Twitter event celebrating retro recipes. Please join the exchange of great ideas and recipes every Sunday at 7p.m. ET on Twitter. Simply type in #SundaySupper in the search bar.
The Ninja Baker's Chocolate Twist on Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake
Here's the how-to for the Ninja Baker's Chocolate Twist:
1. Bake 2 layers of your favorite chocolate cake. (I like the recipe on the back of the Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa tin.)
2. Cool in the freezer as this will allow for easier frosting. (Less crumb control.)
3. Whip up 2 cups of heavy cream, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and a generous 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. (Always remember to put your mixing bowl and beater in the freezer the night before for easy whipping.)
4. Prepare chocolate frosting. (I often use the Ghirardelli recipe on the back of the sweetened ground chocolate tin. Do have extra milk on hand as the icing does tend to stiffen pretty quickly.)
5. Wash, drain and thinly slice six strawberries.
6. Slather chocolate frosting between the two layers of cake.
7. Top with whipped cream and the sliced strawberries.
8. Place the second layer carefully on top.
9. Pipe with whipped cream.
10. Garnish with strawberries. Whole or sliced.
If you like strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate (as I do) it will be an act of love to share this dessert with those around your Sunday Supper table. Your family and friends will also appreciate the amazing dishes listed below from some of the best food bloggers in the blogosphere.
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup by The Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Wishing you the comforts and joys of retro recipes.
P.s. Special shout out to to the Foodie Friends Friday group who included this post in their Copycat Recipe Party.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker's recipes are also available at: