All the hope and promise of a new year awaits…May blessings beyond your imagination greet you, dear reader, with the dawning of 2014.
It is definitely a Happy New Year in the Ninja Baker’s kitchen. 2014 has delivered a slow cooker to my doorstep. Just in time for this week’s slow cooker themed #SundaySupper! (For more details about this weekly gathering around the virtual dinner table at Twitter, please scroll down.) Cindy, a professional chef, is our hostess with the mostest. (More of her cooking savvy can be found at Cindy's Recipes and Writings.)
Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken:
Zapped with ginger, garlic, soy sauce and a zing of red pepper flakes.
Chicken is my husband’s favorite go-to protein. So my first meal in the slow cooker had to be chicken. Chinese chicken. Seventeen plus years in Tokyo has my taste buds wired to accent any meat with ginger, garlic and soy sauce. Luckily my New Jersey bred husband agrees. His polished bowl and accompanying “very good” lets me know that I’ll be repeating this recipe again soon.
Do you have a favorite chicken or slow cooker recipe? Yes? please share!
Adapted from Cleverly Inspired, I added and deleted a few items from the original recipe. Only organic ingredients were used as I was catering to the health conscious crowd – my husband.
If you like a thicker sauce, after five hours, take out the chicken and add one tablespoon or more of cornstarch. Then warm up the chicken with the thick sauce for another five minutes.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 10 pieces
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon chopped ginger
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the slow cooker.
Whisk all the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour over the chicken.
Note: Coating a measuring cup with cooking spray lets the honey slide out of the cup into the bowl.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
Ease into 2014 with these great slow-cooker and crock pot ideas from the Sunday Supper Group!
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama's Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin' John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma's Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Wishing you delicious time with family and friends to sip and savor the new year.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker has guest blogged and contributed recipes to numerous food sites. These additional recipes can be found here.