'Tis the season when cherubs string their bows, aim at the hearts of mortals and watch the merriment of St. Valentine's Day. And sometimes the tears. (Spoken by one whose personal cupid didn't aim quite right until much later in life.)
In addition to the shenanigans of February 14th, my guess is that the chubby-cheeked cherubs are giggling at all the delights food bloggers are concocting for the special day. Especially the foodies who congregate on Twitter at #SundaySupper every week.
On February 10th, Jen of Juanita's Cocina will host the much anticipated Valentine party. You are invited to join the exchange of #SundaySupper recipes and ideas at 7p.m. ET on Twitter. Put #SundaySupper in the search bar or click here for the party.
I'm bringing my Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts to the party. Pink always brightens my mood. There is just something so cheery and healing about the hue. How about you? Do you have a pick-me-up color? Love to read your blues busters in the comments box.
Happy to report, too, the pink of my Strawberry Valentine Hearts is all natural. Not a drop of food coloring went into the mix or the frosting. The cake recipe is from Allrecipes.com's Gothic Girl. Ingredients include sifted cake flour, strawberry jello, milk, butter, sugar, vanilla and pureed strawberries. All the lovely stuff of life!
2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from
frozen sweetened strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.
© 2013 Allrecipes.com
Gothic Girl recommended sweetened frozen strawberries. I opted for non-sweetened and swirled in a generous 1/4 teaspoon of organic strawberry jam into each mini heart. (About a half teaspoon for the larger layer hearts.) The result was dee-lightful! Light, luscious and infused with strawberry, the cake was yummy. And the delicious factor was enhanced when topped with the Ninja Baker's Strawberry Buttercream.
The Ninja Baker's Strawberry Buttercream is easy. Combine a 1/2 cup of European butter, 1/2 cup of non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of strawberry puree and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Slowly mix in 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of meringue powder.
For more Valentine recipes visit the sites of the sweet #SundaySupper food bloggers listed below.
#SundaySupper Valentine's Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni's Food
- Individual Beef "Phyll-ingtons" from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine's Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What's For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita's Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama's Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine's Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear's Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine's Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine's Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Wishing you all the sweetness and love of Valentine's Day throughout the year.
The Ninja Baker
© ™ Watkinson 2012
The Ninja Baker's recipes are also available at: